Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has firmly denied any U.S. involvement in brokering the recent ceasefire between India and Pakistan, asserting the agreement was achieved solely through direct military communication between the two nations.
According to Indian Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri, Modi clarified to U.S. President Donald Trump in a phone conversation that no discussions took place regarding U.S. mediation or trade negotiations during the ceasefire talks.
“Prime Minister Modi told President Trump unequivocally that there was no dialogue at any point concerning a U.S.-India trade deal or third-party mediation,” Misri said. “The ceasefire was arranged through military-to-military communication, initiated by Pakistan, with no external influence.”
The call between Modi and Trump occurred on the sidelines of the G7 Summit in Canada, the first direct contact between the two leaders since the deadly border skirmishes from May 7 to 10. Misri also noted that a planned in-person meeting was canceled due to Trump’s early departure related to Middle East developments.
While Trump previously claimed credit for encouraging peace between the nuclear-armed rivals, the Indian government has consistently rejected foreign intervention in its bilateral issues with Pakistan.
Pakistan has echoed the timeline but maintains that its army only responded to an Indian military communication on May 7. The ceasefire followed a violent escalation triggered by an April 22 attack in Indian Kashmir that killed 26 people, mostly tourists, an assault India blamed on Pakistan-backed militants, which Islamabad denied.
India responded with cross-border airstrikes on May 7 targeting what it called “terrorist infrastructure,” sparking four days of intense conflict involving airstrikes, drones, and heavy artillery fire.
Modi also reiterated to Trump that Operation Sindoor, the ongoing counter-terror campaign — remains active. Though Trump invited Modi to stop by the U.S. after the summit, Modi declined due to prior commitments but extended an invitation for Trump to visit India during the upcoming Quad summit, which Trump reportedly accepted.