Close Menu
  • Home
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Religion
  • Opinion
  • Agency
    • About
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service
Facebook Instagram LinkedIn TikTok
Josey Agency
  • Home
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Religion
  • Opinion
  • Agency
    • About
    • Contact
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Service
Josey Agency
Home»WORLD NEWS»Africa»Congo And M23 Rebels Resume Peace Talks In Doha
Africa

Congo And M23 Rebels Resume Peace Talks In Doha

Tosin OnisuuruBy Tosin OnisuuruMay 7, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwandan-backed M23 rebels have restarted peace talks in Qatar, sources said on Tuesday, part of a diplomatic effort to end fighting in Congo’s war-ravaged east.

The two sides last met in Doha in April to discuss a deal that would end fighting this year that has killed thousands, displaced hundreds of thousands more and raised fears of a wider regional war.

An official with knowledge of the talks in Doha told Reuters that the latest round began on May 3.

“The negotiations are being held in a positive atmosphere, and both parties have expressed optimism about the dialogue,” said the official, who asked to remain anonymous.

However, two rebel sources said M23 had sent a lower-level delegation than in the earlier round last month, and complained that government delegations had not been empowered to make any decisions in Doha.

They also said government officials had not done enough on confidence-building measures such as the release of suspected M23 members held by Congo.

A government spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Tuesday. A source in Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi’s office said Kinshasa’s priority was peace and it was open to amnesty in some cases.

In statements released after last month’s talks, both sides committed to ending acts of violence and hate speech and called on the Congolese people to support a ceasefire and help create a constructive environment for dialogue.

However, participants complained that the talks had quickly become bogged down in technical details.

Fighting in eastern Congo has since continued. The U.N. humanitarian office said on Tuesday that armed clashes in North Kivu province had displaced at least 30,000 people since Friday.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Tosin Onisuuru

Related Posts

Rwanda And DR Congo Hold First Joint Oversight Meeting Under U.S.-Brokered Peace Agreement

August 1, 2025

Former Colombian President Álvaro Uribe Convicted Of Bribery

July 30, 2025

South Africa Opens Trial For Lusikisiki Massacre Suspects

July 30, 2025
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Recent Stories

Son Heung-min Confirms Tottenham Exit After 10 Years

August 2, 2025

Donald Trump Reimposes Tariffs On 69 Countries

August 1, 2025

Rwanda And DR Congo Hold First Joint Oversight Meeting Under U.S.-Brokered Peace Agreement

August 1, 2025

UK Sets September Deadline For Recognizing Palestinian State

July 30, 2025
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • TikTok

Subscribe

Get the latest news from Joseymagency

Facebook Instagram LinkedIn TikTok X (Twitter) YouTube
© 2025 Joseymagency. All Rights Reserved

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Josey Agency
Manage Consent
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
Functional Always active
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
Preferences
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
Statistics
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes. The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
Marketing
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.
Manage options Manage services Manage {vendor_count} vendors Read more about these purposes
View preferences
{title} {title} {title}