The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and the M23 rebel group have agreed to sign a peace accord by August 18, following months of Qatari-led mediation efforts. Both parties formalized their commitment by signing a Declaration of Principles during a ceremony held in Doha on Saturday, a document obtained by Reuters confirms.
The agreement marks a significant step forward, even as crucial matters such as prisoner releases and territorial withdrawals remain unresolved. Talks began in April, but frustrations over the slow pace of negotiations and stalled confidence-building measures have persisted on both sides.
The United States has played a supporting diplomatic role by facilitating parallel discussions between Congo and Rwanda. U.S. efforts, driven by strategic interest in Congo’s rich mineral resources, such as cobalt, tantalum, gold, lithium, and copper, have aimed at stabilizing the resource-rich Great Lakes region. President Donald Trump recently hosted the foreign ministers of Congo and Rwanda at the White House, signaling U.S. commitment to a long-term solution.
Trump has invited Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi and Rwandan President Paul Kagame to Washington to finalize a broader package of agreements, potentially covering economic cooperation.
Reacting to the latest progress, U.S. State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce applauded both parties for their commitment. “We commend the Parties for taking this meaningful step toward advancing lasting peace and stability in the Great Lakes region,” she stated.
Despite these advances, M23 rebels still maintain control of Goma, the largest city in eastern Congo, and continue to expand their influence across North Kivu and South Kivu provinces. The group’s resurgence has triggered massive displacement and heightened the risk of a wider regional conflict. Rwanda, repeatedly accused of backing the M23, denies involvement, stating its military actions were defensive responses to threats from Congo’s army and allied militias.
Qatar’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Mohammed bin Abdulaziz Al-Khulaifi, described Saturday’s declaration as a foundation for renewed unity in Congo. “It lays the groundwork for a new phase of partnership among the various components of society… including armed movements that have chosen to prioritize the national interest,” he said.
The peace talks gained momentum after a surprise meeting in March, brokered by Qatar, between Presidents Tshisekedi and Kagame. Both leaders jointly called for an “immediate and unconditional ceasefire.”
Congo had previously dismissed negotiations with M23, labeling them a terrorist organization. However, the current declaration, while historic, stops short of resolving key issues. It calls for “creating the necessary conditions” for future progress without specifying mechanisms for M23 withdrawal or restoring state authority in rebel-held areas.
Congo’s government spokesman, Patrick Muyaya, posted on X (formerly Twitter), stating the declaration “takes into account the red lines we have always defended, including the non-negotiable withdrawal” of M23 forces.
Negotiations for a final peace deal are set to begin no later than August 8, giving both sides less than two weeks to finalize the agreement.
“We are confident and hopeful,” said Massad Boulos, a senior adviser to President Trump, after the ceremony. “Presidents Tshisekedi and Kagame have both committed to resolving this.”